Today Apple released the first major updates to its operating systems that were introduced last month - for Mac, iPad, iPhone and AppleTV.
If you have been dragging your feet on upgrading your Apple product for fear of getting a buggy system, fear no more. Major issues have been addressed with these updates. If you have already upgraded, make sure to do these updates.
How to upgrade / update:
First Restart your device, then back it up. Here are the steps:
For iPhone & iPad:
- After restarting, go to Settings > iCloud > Backup and tap “Backup Now”. Your device has to be connected to Wi-Fi to do this. Let it finish.
- Go back to the main Settings page and then to General > Software update and follow the directions to install iOS 10.1. Your device has to be connected to Wi-Fi to do this.
For your Mac:
- After restarting, go to the Time Machine icon in the menu bar near the clock and click “Backup Now”. Let it finish. If you do not have Time Machine configured, shame on you. You can proceed but it is like driving your car without a seatbelt. You will probably be OK, but no guarantees.
- Go to the Apple menu > App Store and go to the Updates tab. If you have not yet installed Sierra (10.12), click the button that says “Free Upgrade”. If you already have Sierra installed, click the Update button next to the 10.12.1 update.
For your Apple TV:
- Go to the Settings app > System > Software Update.
That is it - very easy! As always, I highly recommend keeping your Apple devices updated at all times.